Some agents think that just claiming they are a top agent will cause homebuyers and homesellers to flock to them.
Recently, we surveyed real estate consumers and asked them: “How important is it that your real estate agent be a top producer?” Only 11% responded that it was very important with more than half saying it was not important at all. Digging deeper, one consumer put it this way:
As a homebuyer working with a “top agent” I would worry that I was just another number to that agent.
Consumers only care that you are a “Top Agent” IF:
- It’s objectively true in the world of real estate. Being #1 in your family does not count!
- Your “Top-ness” does something valuable for them.
True top producing agents need to let consumers know that their experience benefits buyers and sellers by providing:
- Access to valuable non-public real estate information such as homes for sale that are not listed on the MLS
- More market and negotiation experience to help sellers get the most money for their home, and buyers get the most home for their money
- Connections with other top agents to identify the best plumbers, painters, inspectors, lenders and other service providers
- Highest quality service, top assistants and discounts—all with the least hassle
“Top” must bring real value to clients. Otherwise, they will feel like you being at the top puts them at the bottom.